Wednesday, November 12, 2014

On Sexual Assault

Some Harvard professors had some interesting criticisms of the new sexual harassment policies being adopted at schools across the country.

The Washington Post weighed in as well.  The Yale paper has a more in-depth account.  I think the panel got it right.

Princeton is also battling with this issue.  Their policies seem fine to me, if not better than what I've seen elsewhere.

I want one!

Do you understand these struggles?

Every time someone makes this argument to me, I just roll my eyes.  It smacks of arrogance and dismissiveness.

This is the big problem with small plates.

Responses:

1. Those cameras are dumb.  He was doing the world a service!

2. That looks delicious.  Here is another variant on pork belly that Gordon Ramsay put together.

3. There were two statements that I found problematic: 1) she said that her career would always be first, ring or no ring, and 2) she didn't think the therapist would ever ask a husband to cut back on his hours.  The first one would sound cruel coming out of any husband's mouth and seems like a life choice that would make any romantic relationship difficult, and the second is likely untrue (maybe it was true in the 1950s).  Also, outsourcing to child labor does sound wrong...

4. I hear this in person from time to time.  It's quite unpleasant.  That person really didn't understand the point of the article, but hopefully the reasonable people on each side of the aisle can continue to bridge the gaps.

5. Maybe start brainstorming some puns starting in August 2015 (to make sure it's relatively topical).

6. I want a puppy!

7. Have you ever tried spaghetti squash?  The paleo people swear by it.

R2R:

"The End is the Beginning"

2. I love chicken thighs.  Wings are so difficult for not as good a reward.

R2R2R:

4. He phrases it as if recording "near-death" is less valuable than recording mundane aspects of life.  The latter is obviously more justifiable.  If I were getting ready to crash in an airplane and I was connected to the internet, after saying a quick prayer and making sure my affairs were in order, I would probably record a video to send to my loved ones.  And I'm the most anti-selfie person I know.

6. Maybe some prospective invaders are working with the massage industry to mellow us out to make the invasion easier.  It's a risk I'm willing to take.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment