Monday, June 2, 2014

Choices

There have been so many examples recently of the tension between (allegedly) good outcomes and preexisting rules.  Here is another one.  How do you come out?

Louis CK bought a house.

This is the article I mentioned about fat and our diets.

Too weird.  Too far.

Though this trend has recently affected some progressives, it undoubtedly has affected conservatives more.  I wonder whether it'll reverse itself if a Republican President is elected in 2016.

Either Mark Cuban is an honest man or he is super glad that this didn't actually come to a vote.

Responses:

1. Now that I have a few more deals under my belt, I should probably update mine.

2. This is my favorite.  RIP, Maya Angelou.  (Those are some great quotes, though.)

3. Co-sign.  I don't really care whose fault it is as long as people keep coming out in opposition to this nonsense and offering a better way.

4. Those are interesting, the last one especially so.  I'm surprised (though pleasantly) that you liked it.

5. I'm going to start planking three times a day.

6. I've always kinda wanted to go to Iceland.

7. Should I learn how to code?

R2R:

1. This makes me think that we need to reevaluate how we think about sexual crimes.  The one issue I had with Coughlin's analysis was the disparate treatment between drunk guys and drunk ladies.  Yes, the law typically does not allow drunkenness to be an excuse for crimes where the mens rea is recklessness or malice, but taking a step back and thinking about the circumstances around a drunken hookup might be worthwhile.  She notes that guys don't typically report rape in the event of a hookup where they were too drunk to consent.  But there are strong societal reasons why they don't.  It seems that the criminal justice system does a poor job of dealing with drunken hookups.

2. "I'm an astronaut, let's sleep together" isn't puffery.  But I don't think that the person who says that is a rapist (or has committed any crime really).

6. Yes, the rules are in place and are clear, and as a result he has himself to blame.  But I don't like the rules because they assume bad faith on the part of players.  Maybe that's a reasonable assumption when it comes to PEDs, but if so then that makes me sad about humanity.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment