Monday, October 21, 2013

Gym Options

When my Gold's Gym membership expires in December, I think I'm going to join a new gym.  But this could get expensive.  Here are my options:

1. Equinox - we've talked about this one.  The pros are that there are locations near my apartment and the office; it's probably the nicest gym I could reasonably afford; if I go through the corporate discount program, I think I can quit anytime; one of the locations (Upper West Side) has a pool; it's open later; Equinox is definitely the "coolest" gym, whatever that means; and my membership would grant me access to pretty much any of their locations anywhere (though I just checked - there are no locations in DC (just Tysons and Bethesda) or Atlanta).  Equinox would be $178/month with no initiation fee, and it would be automatically deducted from my paycheck (I have to check to see if it's pre-tax, which would be about a 35% discount).

2. New York Sports Club - this is another solid option.  It's not as nice as Equinox, but it also has locations near me (the one by my apartment is not as close, but it's right by the subway, so it's close enough; the one by work is right next to Equinox).  NYSC is similar to Gold's in quality, and definitely has what I need.  There are more locations, including locations in DC (though, again, not Atlanta).  And it's open as late as Equinox.  I haven't checked what the corporate discount is, but NYSC would be either 1) $99/month plus $50 joining fee for a one-year commitment or 2) $99/month plus $130 joining fee for month-to-month.

3. New York Health & Racquet Club - this is the third club that has a corporate discount.  The location near my office is closest of the three, but the one near my apartment is a longer walk in the opposite direction of the subway (76th and York - 0.6 miles away, compared to 0.2 miles for Equinox and 0.4 miles for NYSC), but it's not a huge difference.  The big plus is that both locations have pools (the one near work is undergoing renovation, but still).  There aren't as many locations, none outside Manhattan, and I think the gyms are smaller.  Also, it closes at 10 pm.  With the corporate discount, NYHRC would be $81/month with a six-month commitment.

4. Crossfit - this is less of a gym and more of a drastic change in lifestyle.  But it could be fun... right?  In any case, it would be about $200/month for an unlimited plan.  Also, I think I would have to become 84% Ormsby-er.  Other highlights: it's a class, not just open gym, so you have to go during specific times; you have to sign up for particular classes, which might be annoying for my schedule; it would be a good way to meet people since it's a much more social endeavor; I would be meeting people who do Crossfit (you decide whether that's a good thing).

In other news:

I like the Facebook takes on world events.  This one is pretty expansive.

Here is Ed Gillespie's take on what's wrong with the GOP.

Yay Obamacare!

B

2 comments: