Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Questionably Bad Things 2

While the school was being incredibly stupid in its handling of this, I actually blame the parents.  It's something like 80/20 blame, with the parents getting 80 and the school getting 20.  That said, if the children knew about the zero or negative balances, they get 5, so it's 80/15/5.

Not sure what to make of this - they would be the most expensive sweatpants I've ever purchased or close to the most expensive dress pants I've ever purchased.

This is absolutely disgusting.

This is an interesting wrinkle to a mostly forgotten story.

MSNBC has been on a roll lately.

Perhaps the legal sector isn't cratering the way we all think it is after all.

This is the ultimate example of either a miscarriage of justice or the phrase, "You can't argue with results."

Here's something to think about next time you buy an avocado.  For the record, I think the answer is buying more, not less.

This apparently aired during the Super Bowl in Savannah, GA.  Pure awesome.

Responses:

1. That was pretty interesting.  I enjoyed the second part more than the first part - thinking in economic terms I think helps people work together better in relationships.  I didn't enjoy the first part quite as much because of my longstanding objections to reducing people to facts about their lives, interests, etc.  I think the connection that makes you want to see someone after a couple of dates has more to do with intangible chemistry than anything else.

2. It's enslavement to the narrative.  Maybe this plays a small part or a big part, but it seems like a relevant consideration.  Sometimes generally good changes lead to unforeseen bad effects.  I personally don't see inequality as a problem in and of itself, so I'm more than happy to stipulate to the thesis of the article and continue to endorse women working if they want to.  Finally, I thought this article made some good points about inequality.

R2R:

1. More on the 1996 Olympics. I sadly agree with Rembert on much of this...

2. The good news was that Tina Fey was getting a new show.  That is obviously overwhelmed completely by Margaret Cho's involvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment