Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Social Policy at Work

You're probably over Obamacare, but I wanted to note 1) this unintended consequence of the law and 2) this Republican alternative.  I don't really like certain aspects of the alternative (I'm not really on board until we move away from the insurance model for basic, foreseeable health care costs), but it sounds much better than what Obamacare has given us.

That said, the insurance model exists for a reason, and that reason is problematic.  (To be sure, whereas the writer notes these flaws as an argument for universal health care (possibly provided by the state), I note them as an argument for provision of health care like any other necessary good in society, i.e. through the free market with safety nets for the poor.

You say that you're Type A. Are you?

In backlash news, Emily Yoffe wrote that, while men certainly need to stop committing crimes in the context of sexual assault, there are many things that women can do to prevent themselves from being the victims of sexual assault.  People didn't like that.  Here is her response.

In case you didn't hear, Missouri football player Michael Sam came out, and he is widely expected to be drafted to play in the NFL this coming season.

In another sports story, college basketball player Marcus Smart pushed a fan who called him a "piece of crap" and got suspended.  I kinda sorta have a problem with this.

This would make me more hesitant to talk on the phone at work, but I'm pretty sure I don't have anything to say that the government is interested in hearing.

And let's end on a lighter note.

Responses:

2. That seems spot on to me.  Talking about how to solve relationship problems is probably the best thing you can do to learn how to solve relationship problems.  In my view, communication and problem solving are pretty important to any healthy relationship.

3. What have you been resorting to?

4. I wish I still had a thermostat...

R2R:

6. I've always wondered why people keep living in terrible places when they could always leave.  I'm not talking about North Korea (where they do terrible things to you if you try to leave, or if you stay), but rather New London, or Camden or Detroit, or lots of other places.  I get being invested in your home and neighborhood, and I certainly get the situation of Suzette Kelo and the other homeowners who invested lots of money into their property only to get lowballed by the NLDC.  I think part of it is that you end up fighting for what you believe in to the point where you love your neighborhood.  The fight keeps you there.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment