Thursday, May 15, 2014

I Guess...

The Keystone pipeline always seemed to me to be something everyone could get behind, but apparently not.

This is one of those "I guess it worked out this time" stories.  One wonders why the NCAA has to waive regulations in order to make it work, though.

This is what passes for men's fashion discussion.

The funny thing about the Michael Sam story is that being drafted in the 7th round was probably worse for him than going undrafted.  If he would have gone undrafted, people would have decried the homophobic NFL, except that at least four teams were interested in offering him a contract if he was still available after the draft.

I wonder if it's a generational problem, but it's definitely a troubling trend.

We can all agree that Japanese society is in freefall, right?  I want to find this idea adorable, but it just feels creepy.

This chart is both reassuring and a little too real.  That said, I think we tip in all of these scenarios.

Responses:

1. I enjoy how this article suggests solutions that could apply to everyone rather than blaming everything on the patriarchy.  There are some good ideas, especially 2 and 4.

2. These are all the exercises that people need to do but don't because they're not as obvious as cardio or weightlifting.  Add 'em to the list!

3. That's definitely too many.  I think 10 is the right number, and then you have 4 more columns over the next few months.  It's a good list, though.

4. This link isn't working.

5. I haven't, but that was great, so I'll finish soon.

6. It's complicated, but in my view, one big aspect of American progressivism is criticism of aspects of the "dominant" culture along with embrace of other cultures without full knowledge of what their really about.  I think the threats of violence often play a role - recall what happened with the Muhammad cartoons a few years back.

7. In the last week, I've seen articles about how everything is both good and bad for you - carbs, low-carb diets, butter and cheese, you name it.  I'm just sticking to eating what I like in moderation and working out until this settles down.

8. I'd eat that.

R2R:

1. It drips into the pot!

2. I launched into an explanation for how I think the NBA can successfully oust the Sterlings, but this article gets at it more clearly and with more authority than I could ever muster.

3. This isn't watering down his views, but rather prioritizing.  I used to bemoan the fact that anytime a member of the Libertarian Party went on TV, he led with "legalize drugs now," which, while more palatable now, was not in the 90s when I affiliated with them.  GOP emphasis on this issue to me seems misguided - I see only minor tangible gains and a lot of negative press from these efforts - and the President would have little role in governing how this issue played out.  To be sure, Rand Paul never said that he opposed voter ID laws and efforts.  But wouldn't it be better for our electoral efforts if we focused on actually important things that many people agree with us on?

B

No comments:

Post a Comment