Friday, March 8, 2013

Which should I buy?

In the red corner, we have the KitchenAid stand mixer.  I'd probably go with the empire red model, but I'm open to color suggestions.

And in the... yellow corner, we have the Dyson DC33 vacuum cleaner.  It's bagless, it's convenient, and it's British... whatever that's worth.  I would consider other Dyson models.

As for pros and cons:

1. The stand mixer is something I have been coveting for quite some time.  That said, I have also secretly longed for a Dyson vacuum.

2. I have seen a fair number of recipes (#1: cinnamon rolls) that would be possible with a stand mixer.  That said, it's not as though the stand mixer is the only thing standing between me and a whole new (cooking) world.

3. I need a vacuum cleaner.  That said, 1) there are cheaper vacuums and 2) if I hire a maid service, they will likely bring their own vacuum cleaner that will be industrial-strength.  The vacuum would still have a place for more frequent cleanings, but it's not as though I'll be overrun by dirt without it.

4. I'm probably going to buy both items within the next 12 months (the real question being which I get first), so a different way of framing the issue is figuring out which item will provide the most utility/satisfaction over the next, say, 6 months.

What say you?

In a(n un)related story, she used to be my Congressman.

B

1 comment:

  1. i don't really understand why you're bringing this up now. have you been itching to vacuum? would you vacuum if you bought this? or would it sit in the closet for weeks on end? are you serious about getting a maid service and when would that start?

    personally, i think you need a vacuum more than a stand mixer, but only if you would actually vacuum. and i think stand mixers have special deals at times - see e.g. that amazon deal we should have jumped on. so i very boringly vote vacuum. but also because you only list cinnamon buns as the thing you want to make. i think the 3 items rule applies - once there are 3 things you really want to make and would make but can't make because of lack of stand mixer, then you should buy the stand mixer.

    ReplyDelete