Monday, March 17, 2014

Making Moves

Grantland looks at the Knicks' adding Phil Jackson.  Money quote: The Knicks are "like a person who makes a lot of smart investment decisions, cashes out, and spends everything on delicious cookies."

Body image issues are apparently affecting boys too.

It will be curious to see how the courts deal with this case.  If my recollection of antitrust law serves me, the court has previously viewed sports leagues as singular entities (as opposed to just individual teams) for certain purposes under antitrust law, but it the NCAA has so much market power over all of collegiate athletics that those arguments may not fly.  I have mixed feelings about antitrust law, but I have no love for the NCAA.  It continues to boggle my mind that the NCAA bans players from receiving outside athletics-related income (e.g. selling a signed picture of yourself on eBay).

Apparently there was an earthquake in Los Angeles this morning. The reaction of the news anchors in the video did not exactly inspire confidence or reassurance. (Note: I may have watched the first 10 seconds of that video approximately 10 times.)

Responses:

1. You never told me how the fried avocado came out.  I've never had it before.  In any case, I want those tuna avocado cakes.

3. This might be something worth talking about.  I mostly agree with it, it's what my therapist beat into me, and I think it has some value for how we communicate.  (This is a somewhat more mysticist version of the idea I learned, in any case.)

5. I mean, if you want to try it, you bring the oil. :)

6. I assume you're looking at airfares, train tickets, etc.?

7. A few of these are pretty dense.  There is a such thing as Guys Night, and I totally get why girls would not be there (I also understand why we wouldn't want to be at Girls Night).

8. I did some burpees on Saturday.  That is the hardest exercise I know.

R2R:

1. That raises legitimacy problems.  Malcolm Gladwell addresses this point in David & Goliath, so I'll reserve comment until you read.  Another point, though, is that the law envisions your idea - for 2014, the tax for not having insurance is only $95 or 1% of household income over the filing threshold, but starting in 2016, it'll be $695 or 2.5% of household income over the filing threshold.

4. I think it is if I use it as an alternative to the grocery store, Bed Bath & Beyond, CVS, etc.  I have until September, but I'll likely add up my purchases since I bought it and see how much I effectively paid for two-day shipping (using the Prime amount as the base price).  I'm going to do the same with FreshDirect this month, though I have a feeling that I won't be paying them $69 for 6 months of free delivery at this time.  (One side benefit of waking up early for yoga on Saturday: I can go grocery shopping then!)

B

No comments:

Post a Comment