Thursday, March 20, 2014

Too Far

I laughed a lot when I read this. Probably too much.

Someone is standing up for butter, eggs, and cream, and his name isn't Paula Deen - finally!

This is an interesting development - not just because of the (in my view, terrible) policy being blocked, but also because Asian-American Democrats (the three state senators here are that anyway) might be starting to realize that the Democratic Party doesn't have their interests at heart.  We'll see if this is a blip or a trend.

Maybe all this talk about increasing the number of STEM students out there is a bit overblown.

If you're complaining that other people are "intimidating" you by being in shape while you're working out at the gym, then give up becuase life's just too hard.  I understand that Planet Fitness is trying to cultivate a particular atmosphere for a particular market segment, and I understand that this woman has no right to be a member, but I think I would be embarrassed to be a member of that sort of gym.

Too far, guys.

Way too far, lady.  That this professor thinks that, of all the people involved, she was the victim says everything about how people take offense today and, in my view, explains the idiotic responses to bullying, obesity, sexism, and racism, to name just a view social issues of the day.

Responses:

2. I live in fear of the next cleanse you'll actually want us to do.

3. I don't know how I feel about that definition of poverty, but I wonder how much inflation plays a role (both monetary inflation and an inflation of expectations for the basics of life).

4a. Isn't the better takeaway the idea of making the best out of every opportunity (and finding opportunities everywhere?  My little brother was the sort to help others at his job, but he got burned for it because he did a bad job at his actual job since he spent so much time doing other people's jobs, and not even that well.  Also, while that story might serve a narrative purpose, we can't really conclude that her path made the most sense except on a post hoc basis.

4b. That said, I do think giving is important.  I think there's truth to the idea, for example, that if you feeling as though something is missing in a personal relationship (e.g. support), then giving that thing to the other person is often a way to find fulfillment.  And taking the long view is the way to move up in a company - maybe you hate working late or pitching in on other people's stuff, but all those hours hopefully add up to big things down the line, and being a team player helps too.

5. Some of the criticisms are off base, but I'm not sure how much of a fan I am of it.  The space thing concerns me, and wearing a one-size-fits-most dress might be a bit of a tip-off, which is presumably what this kit is trying to avoid?

6. This article seems problematic to me, but I'd be embarrassed to have to use a ladder to climb Mt. Everest.

7. The ruling seems right, but I would like to see whether the assisted suicide argument gains traction.  Also, isn't there a well nearby that we can throw this guy down?

R2R:

3. In the briefest of antitrust primers, you get in trouble either if you plot with someone "in restraint of trade" (massive term of art, from § 1 of the Sherman Act) or if you misuse your monopoly power (§ 2).  Cases with sports leagues have dealt with the question of whether it's a bunch of teams (which would be making agreements in restraint of trade, which would be an easier case) or just one league (which would be a question of abuse of monopoly power, which requires you to establish what the market is, which makes things more difficult), but here, it appears that the NCAA is abusing their monopoly power so egregiously that it almost doesn't matter which it is - there might be a case under either part of the Sherman Act.  But if the NCAA and the courts hide behind amateurism... GROAN.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment