Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Backlash!

Here are some recent opinions on the Donald Sterling situation.  And here's one after the Adam Silver decision.  I didn't like the dismissal of what I'll call the Mark Cuban argument as a "bogus First Amendment" argument - that characterization completely misses the point - but otherwise there are some interesting things in there.

Apparently I was wrong about The Other Woman.

This makes me annoyed with my people.  Rand Paul said something perfectly reasonable, and the response is outrage because he isn't alienating moderate voters hard enough.

And now it's time for the inevitable backlash.

The tension between law and pragmatism is real, and in this case, someone could have just knocked on her door and say, "Hey, give me $6.50 or we're taking your house!"  That probably would have resolved the problem.

We are increasingly having the need for speed.

Responses:

1. (afraid to say anything)

2. (still afraid to say anything)

3. Yay stories that describe my childhood!

4. That's so wrong.  How much money the government could save by paying market salaries?  I bet the discount for job security itself would go a long way.

5. Are you in the mood for a rebranding effort?

6. They definitely have great food, but I'm told that Brussels is not the most exciting city ever.

R2R:

1. My only thought is whether there is a way to formalize this notion.  People (to a certain extent rightly) say that rules are inflexible and are necessarily overinclusive or underinclusive, but it seems as though a rule, say, requiring the issuance of a summons to prison within 180 days of sentencing and starting the sentence as of day 181 (if a summons isn't issued) would create certainty for the convicted and place the burden of error on the only people who are able to reduce error.

4. One probably leads to the other (generally speaking, not necessarily with respect to a particular friend).  I think his perspective is worth noting, though, because it's so hard to explain racial segregation in the social context to someone who has no place to go - whether it's because there aren't any of his race where he is or because the person is mixed race.  For me, the notion of dating within my own race is a non-starter not just because it's odious, but also because I just physically can't.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment