Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Dinner and a Show

Here's the Grantland take on the HIMYM finale (admittedly from a guest writer).  I was mostly with him until he talked about the very end.  I guess I didn't see the last scene as "and they lived happily ever after."  While I definitely got the feeling that the show is about failure, it's always been about the hope that keeps us going in spite of failure, and I don't think we should assume that Ted and Robin just got back together and got married.

While we're here, here's what Entertainment Weekly had to say.  I probably agree with this take most strongly (though they awarded a B+ instead of an A-).

A friend on Facebook posted this article with the following statement, to which I have nothing to add: "This is what happens when you give God the finger by not eating the tasty animals He created for us."

This could be a source of inspiration (in addition to deliciousness).  It opens April 11.  It's right across the street from my old office.

This goes into a little more detail commentary-wise on amateurism and the Northwestern football team's attempt to unionize.

Responses:

1. We've been talking so much about the cold recently. That said, these people are making the best of a tough situation.

2. There's a lot in there that makes sense (though we should note that this is not the new model of marriage as much as it is the model of marriage when both people are capable of economic independeence - I note this because my sister's marriage, and impending divorce, is primarily for economic reasons).  I liked the quote, "It's worth emphasizing here that even red-flag issues can be healed if both partners are committed to seeking help and working on themselves and the relationship."  But I think that's a lesson for our currently myopic society.  Any relationship, up to and including marriage, is something that takes work, and there is never going to be a time when it doesn't.

3. Me too.  And maybe I just have the wrong Facebook friends, but I see some pretty unhealthy conversations pretty often.

4. It's an interesting thought.  I want to do some stargazing in the middle of nowhere this summer.

R2R:

1. My first thought when I read this article was Michael Phelps as well.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment