Thursday, September 4, 2014

Everybody Calm Down

People need thicker skin.  I'm not saying that the stranger was right to ask, and I'm not saying that this isn't somehow evidence of how our society is broken, but our response to situations like these has to be better than this.

The fact that even this remark is getting criticism tells me that some feminists are far more interested in righteous indignation and theory than practical, real solutions to difficult problems.

Poor bear - he was probably just embarrassed.

I'm guessing we're going to get a rash of these stories, each successive one being less and less of a story.  I think the lesson I would want to teach my kids here isn't that the police are racist, but that, while you should be careful when dealing with the police, you should trust that, by treating them with respect and following their lawful orders (and everything about this situation was completely lawful), you will get a reasonable outcome (which is exactly what seemed to happen here - the officer even apologized).

Let's make fun of more commenters!  (This time, you have to remember to join me.)

Responses:

1. That is a good list.

2. Bears aren't supposed to outshine bunny on her birthday... I blame China!

3. #3 and #4 are the near-miss theory from David & Goliath.

4. That makes too much sense.  I don't understand how people just let relationships happen to them.

5. Through trial and error anyway.

6. Nobody is going to win this argument, but thanks for the hat tip. :)

7. The freezer idea is pretty smart.  When I used to cook, I threw away tomato paste regularly.

8. That's a sweet article.  I'm glad it worked out in the end.  Why do you think it's the story of us almost?

R2R:

1. Every chef should know that people are incredibly subjective and opinionated about food. I get why a chef would want to control the experience, and I definitely understand if a restaurant declined to offer ketchup by simply not having it in the restaurant, but I don't understand why emotions have gotten to this point.

2. *afraid to say anything*

3. That's what bears are for. :(

5. I try to think flexibly about my skills.  I think we'll have lawyers for a while, but an industry could always change and make your skillset obsolete.  If the securities laws or tort law changes dramatically, we would do well to have something to offer that is broader than our specific skills (e.g. our general intelligence or adaptability).  Also, maybe this is why I want an espresso machine...

B

No comments:

Post a Comment