Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Finally, My Mad Men Recap

I could never write something like this because I would never think about some of the connections and issues they bring up.  Then two thoughts come to my mind: 1) they're just making stuff up, and 2) I have no idea what's going on in the worlds of art and media.  Of course, I rarely watch shows more than once.  Alan Sepinwall said on Bill Simmons's podcast that he did not like the season premiere that much, and then he watched it again and thought it was fantastic.  Due to space restraints on my DVR, we will not be doing that this season.  (But I would like to rewatch the show after it finally ends.)

Articles like this are nice because they try to discover answers to interesting and important societal tensions and issues without resorting to claims of invidious discrimination.  I wonder what the answer to his question towards the bottom is:  if women at second-tier business schools had more financial aid, would they work less?  If the answer is yes, then that has pretty serious implications for the debate over equal pay and the like.

How many of the things on this list do you do?  I do 10/16.

This is a tough question on which I am ambivalent.  On the one hand, it seems like a fairly minor incursion on your freedom to have to stick the switchblade in your checked luggage.  On the other hand, we have to pay $25 minimum to check a bag now.

Responses to "butter, beer, cake, picnic":

1. I would believe it for Land o' Lakes, despite the fact that I buy it over store brand.  That said, recall the study about how people enjoy wine more if they pay more for it, even if they can't appreciate better wine.

2. This story seems too obvious... Would the taste of beer trigger a desire to drink other kinds of alcohol?

4. That sounds like fun.

Responses to "speaking of puppies":

1. I'm not confused about what to do - burn him at the stake.

A puppy will have to wait, sadly.  I'm always a little jealous when someone gets on the elevator with a cute doggy to go for a walk, though.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment