Wednesday, February 13, 2013

This is creepy.

But it's happening.  Sorry, Knut.

So if I understand this correctly, in the 2020 Olympics, wrestling is out but golf is in?  There's something wrong with this.

Maybe the Dorner story is over.  Or maybe he planted his license and wallet there so he could escape.  That's what would have happened on 24, which is the closest analogy I can think of to what is happening here.

I don't think I understand viral videos.  Take this one, for example.  Ok, I get it - an attractive female is bouncing around, making the fellas drool.  But how does this matter for more than 5 minutes?  How does this become a commercial, appearances, etc.?  I don't understand modern society.

And responses:

1. Love the shirt.

2. Seriously, that story has significant 24 potential - that is, except for the fact that it took longer than 24 hours to maybe catch him.

3. I'm tired of these stories.  Anyone who believed that getting a college degree was a foolproof way to get a great job is not thinking with his brain.  I'm glad that Princeton offered me an almost free ride (my Pepsi National Merit scholarship thankfully covered more than the shortfall), and it would be really nice if other schools followed suit (or, I guess, if other schools could afford to follow suit), but where you go to college is more than that because of the loan aspect.  A few years ago, I read an article that suggested that kids should go to the (cheaper) public university in their home state if the choice is between that and a decent private school (think Boston College, not Harvard).  I tend to think that's generally true, though I recognize that there can be value to one of these smaller, expensive liberal arts colleges.  But that value is not the sort of thing that one should go into debt for.  It's like summer camp.  You make great friends and learn about yourself or whatever, but you wouldn't mortgage the house to send your kids there.  I think the affordability solution involves online classes (reducing the need for real estate and as many high-paid professors).  But until the University of Phoenix gets respect, prospective students need to think long and hard about the investment they're making and not just sign papers because everyone else is doing it.  College can definitely be a value proposition, and taking on debt can be a smart way to access that proposition, but it can't be done without thinking long and hard about the impact of that decision.

4. This should not be the Ben you speak most glowingly about...

B

No comments:

Post a Comment