Monday, January 28, 2013

Responses!

Starting with "because it's all about the middle class":

1. I wanted to give the guy some credit, but then he said, "America does not really want a middle class," and proved this statement with an event from 1951.  I also reject his reading of the financial crisis.  I'm actually not surprised he blames Obama.  A lot of "black leaders" (for lack of a better term) have been harshly critical of Obama for not doing enough for black people and not being the President of Black People.

2. The average price of a Manhattan rental is almost $4,000.  That's insane.  But then again, it's also 30% of my income, which is what economists and real estate people say I should pay in rent/mortgage.  I was thinking about it some more, and I could probably be okay in NY - that is, after I'm done paying back my salary advance.  The advance takes an extra $900/month out of my check, and I think I could probably find someplace to live in NY for $3,100/month.  More generally, though, I do think that people are buying a lifestyle in moving to NY.  You're buying opportunities, job prospects (in terms of stuff you could do, not necessarily unemployment numbers), being in the center of the universe, etc.  The real question is whether that's how you want to spend your money.

3. The career group is an interesting idea.  That said, I wonder whether it is filling in for skills people really should have.  But as I think about that, I wonder where people would learn said skills.

4. Was the retraction about recess appointments?  If so, a federal court recently mailboxed Obama as he was backtracking...

5. I'm going to try using IMO.  Do you use Gchat at work?  If so, you can try to chat with me!

Responses to your last two posts are coming up!

B

No comments:

Post a Comment